Get better at something. As I look over my goals I’ve set for 2010, I realize I have a lot to learn in order to accomplish them. And to be honest, I look at some of them and question if I can get there. (Well, there’s another blog post for that, but the short version is that means I’ll have to rely on God’s grace and the Holy Spirit’s power to accomplish them!).
The worst thing you can do is paint your self in a corner and allow self defeat into the game. Your goals should drive you, motivate you and challenge you. They should not depress you. So, the best thing you can do is get better at something. Take a step. Start with a piece. Here are some examples with the big goal first and the small step next:
- You want to write a book: write an outline, write a chapter
- You want to start a business: file the paperwork for you LLC
- You want to be a better communicator: work on not saying ummm
- You want to get a Masters degree: sign up for 1 class
- You want to be a better husband: take your wife on 1 date
- You want to lose 20 pounds: go to the gym TODAY
- You want to read a 1500 page book: read the first 15
- You want to run a marathon: run a 5K first
The point is, you have to get better in steps. Growing as a leader, husband, wife, parent, pastor, CEO, whatever, doesn’t happen over night. Its a process and the most successful one’s realize this and then plan accordingly. If you will master the small steps, eventually you’ll look back and see you’ve covered a lot of ground.
What is one goal you have or one are you want to be better at? What is your step you will take today? (This is a great exercise to do before you start 2010)