When you try and time the market, the odds of success are low. Trying to pick the diamond in the ruff is nearly impossible. Investing your money like this is similar to throwing darts. You’ll most likely hit the board, but there’s low probability you’ll hit a winner.
I’ve noticed this is similar when people try and follow God’s leading when he gives an idea. They’ll wait on it and then through something out there hoping it becomes a winner. And that rarely works either. The best investors are the one’s that consistently invest whether there’s a short-term gains or losses.
Pursuing a dream is like that. You have to invest every day, every week, every month in the hopes of a long-term pay off. I talk with a lot of people that want to write a book. Most people think its easy until they sit down and try to write one. When there emotions are high, they’ll write a little bit. When their emotions are low, they push it to the side. They only invest when the “market” is just right. These people rarely ever write a book.
If you want to be great at something, you have to invest consistently.
- Want to be a great husband or wife? Watching TV every night will not make it happen. Invest in the relationship consistently, even when you don’t feel like it.
- Want to be a great parent? Cut off the phone, the computer, the iPad, the Playstation, the TV, the distractions and go read a book with them, or through the ball in the back yard. Take them to get ice cream or heaven forbid, dad’s take your daughter to the mall. I know you’re tired. We all are. But the deserve it.
- Want to have a great walk with Christ? Spend time daily in the Word and in prayer. Find quiet time away from work and even family. If you only pray when things are really bad or really good, you’re leaving a lot on the table. Spend time investing in that relationship.
- Want to write a book? Write. (I’ve written on this plenty)
- Want to get in shape? You have to eat healthy foods consistently. You have to work out at least 3 times a week. And unless you are one of those weird people, you’ll never feel like working out. But you make the investment or you’ll miss the payoff.
- You want to __________? It will take consistent investment to make it happen.
What is it that you want to do?